top of page

7 Hazardous items around us that you wouldn't even know about

Have you ever thought, your home, workplace, or other environments you spend time in, can have hazardous items lurking around?

We don’t really notice such things. We often assume that our surroundings are safe and free of danger. But there are actually several common items that can pose serious health risks if not properly handled.

In this blog, we'll explore seven hazardous items around us that are hazardous and discuss the importance of being aware of them in order to stay safe and healthy.

1. Cleaning solutions Many cleaning products, such as bleach, ammonia, and drain cleaners, contain harsh chemicals that can be harmful if ingested or inhaled.

Always remember to use these products in a well-ventilated area and to keep them out of reach of children and pets.

2. Carbon monoxide in gas appliances Gas-powered appliances such as stoves and water heaters release carbon monoxide. This gas is both odorless and colorless, and in high concentrations, it can be deadly.

Ensure to have your gas appliances inspected regularly, and install carbon monoxide detectors in your home to alert you to any potential leaks.

3. Flaking paint Older homes or buildings often have paint that contains lead — a toxic metal that can cause serious health problems if ingested or inhaled. If you suspect that your home may have lead paint, it's important to have it removed by a professional or fix it with some other paint.

4. Extension cords Overloaded or damaged extension cords can pose a fire hazard, as they can easily overheat and start a fire. They can also cause electric shock if they aren’t plugged in properly.

Use them safely and responsibly, and replace any cords that show you signs of any damage. 5. Money plant While the money plant is a popular indoor plant known for its air-purifying qualities. It can also be toxic if it gets eaten by pets or children.

Keep the plants out of reach of pets and children, and wash your hands thoroughly after handling them.

6. Mercury in fluorescent light bulbs Lightbulbs go off after a certain time. And it’s no wonder while replacing with another one they can break. But the issue is these bulbs contain small amounts of mercury, which are harmful if released into the environment especially. Consider replacing your CFL light bulbs with LEDs. (While LEDs may contain a small number of toxins, the risk of harm is minimal) Nonetheless, caution should be taken even if the LED bulb breaks.

7. Hand Sanitizers Hand sanitizers especially since the lockdown have become a very vital thing at home and while traveling. Some sanitizers have good fragrances. And we tend to smell them. Huffing hand sanitizer could be extremely dangerous and can cause you to develop an array of adverse health effects from burns on the insides of your nose to lightheadedness, loss of smell, impaired judgment, and many more.

While it's impossible to eliminate all potential hazards from our surroundings, taking steps to identify and mitigate risks can help to keep us safe and healthy. Staying informed and taking action when necessary, we can help to create a safer and healthier environment for ourselves and those around us.

Take a few minutes to look around your home or workplace and identify any potential hazards that may be present. If you're unsure about how to handle a particular item or situation, don't hesitate to seek professional advice.

1 view

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page